Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

less treat, more doorbell

I have to share this story, because I don't want to forget it. While trick-or-treating tonight, the "game" became much less about the candy and much more about being the chosen one to ring the doorbell at each house. Candy was fun, but the doorbell was much better. But each house only has one bell, and well, with two kids, this presents an issue. So we started to take turns. It made things better, but still created quite a ruckus. When we took a turn into a little cul-de-sac, there were 4 sets of neighbors who had all set up a little "area" with chairs and tables, where trick-or-treaters could just walk straight down a little line of people and get candy (as opposed to going to knock on each of their doors). Great concept, yes, but this didn't help with the "ringing the doorbell phenomenon" that had been created earlier. I went up to the first guy and said "do you live here, is anyone inside?" when he said "no" I asked if I could let Keaton just go ring his doorbell, for fun. The guy jumped up and ran ahead of Keaton and ran inside his house before the little guys got there and waited. When Keats rang the bell, the guy opened the door and screamed BOO...which of course made Elliott and Keaton laugh, scream, and jump with glee...it was priceless.
By the time I turned around, all of the other neighbors were gone. They had all run inside their own homes, to wait for the kids to ring THEIR bell...
That was the sweetest thing I had ever seen.
It was such a great night.
(oh yeah, and we attempted a family photo---please stop to admire the different looks on each of our faces. nice.)



No comments: