One of the "ah-ha" moments that we experienced while being away is how much we do NOT rely on traditional media to entertain our kids. Now, don't get me wrong. We love movies, we love children's TV series (from PBS, of course)...but we usually view them on Netflix or right off of the computer. We never watch "real TV". As we caught a few Christmas classic movies on ABC Family or other TV stations, we realized that there was a complete chaos created at each break. The kids would get up, run around, become distracted or simply lose interest. Then finally Little Elliott said," I want to watch this movie without all of the interruptions..." I then realized that commercials were breaking their concentrations and breaking their trains of thoughts...and it was ruining the program for them. You see, PBS doesn't break up their programming in the middle of the programming...only in-between shows. And Netflix doesn't interrupt their programming at all.
That is when I realized that we are raising them in this non-commercial environment. And I love it.
As I watched all of the commercials for the latest toy, fad, or program, it made me really happy that our kids don't ask for any of those things. They don't ask for them because they don't know about them. One day, they will learn about all of them and start asking. Until then, I will enjoy the simple life.
No comments:
Post a Comment